[nova] instance breaks the affinity/anti-affinity of server group with force_hosts or force_nodes

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 14:51:01 UTC 2019

On 3/14/2019 7:19 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>> So I think even we specify the force_hosts or force_nodes,
>> scheduler should evaluate the filters.
>
> Sylvain has talked about make force_hosts/nodes more like cold/live
> migration and evacuate where a host is provided but not forced through
> bypassing the scheduler, and I think that would be a good addition but
> not really with a configuration option - generally we don't want
> config-driven API behavior since it's not interoperable. This is a murky
> area though since force hosts/nodes is an admin API parameter by default
> policy so it's not interoperable by default anyway. A couple of options
> to avoid a config option:
>
> 1. Add a new parameter (or couple of parameters) to the server create
> API which would deprecate the weird az:host:node format for forcing a
> host/node and if used, would run the requested destination through the
> scheduler filters. This would be like how cold migrate with a target
> host works today. If users wanted to continue forcing the host and
> bypass the scheduler, they could still use an older microversion with
> the az:host:node format.
>
> 2. At the very least, rather than a config option, add a policy rule to
> control whether or not az:host:node (force host/node) bypasses the
> scheduler filters, so some users with certain roles can do that but not
> others. This is not an ideal option though and I'd prefer option 1.

Another alternative for force_hosts/nodes during server create is to use
the JsonFilter and provide a 'query' scheduler hint where you filter on
a specific host/node, e.g.:

openstack server create --hint '["=","host","target.host.com"]' ...

Granted, the JsonFilter is not enabled by default and not very well
tested so we recommend against using it [1] but it is an existing
alternative if you want to specify a host and still run through the filters.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/647796/

Matt