[Forum] Feedback - Proposed Forum Schedule

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Wed Mar 20 16:37:18 UTC 2019

 ---- On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 10:21:34 -0500 Mohammed Naser <mnaser at vexxhost.com> wrote ----
 > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 10:40 AM Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:
 > >
 > > On 3/18/2019 4:40 PM, melanie witt wrote:
 > > > I wanted to run the idea by operators and users to get feedback.
 > >
 > > Let me be frank and ask if we (nova) have specific operators and users
 > > that are clamoring for these changes and if so, do they plan on not only
 > > attending the session but engaging in the development of these pretty
 > > massive shifts in how nova works? I know we've been talking about this
 > > stuff for a long time, but the demand just doesn't feel like it's there
 > > from the operators community, and as a development team we're already
 > > spread thin.

I have already added the policy migration topic in PTG etherpad[1] L146,
with spec link. It is planned with deprecation warning and backward compatible
way. I suggested giving the deprecation phase of at least 1 year because these policy
changes are huge and might affect many operators as large.

But not sure if that enough to ask operator feedback if they say NO(i do not think anyone
do not want these improvements).

 > I think implementing the new RBAC stuff is pretty important.  We've had
 > countless requests on things like a "read-only" user which is not currently
 > achievable without quite a significant overhaul of the existing policies.

True, and granular policies are required to implement that 'reader' roles.

 > A read-only user shouldn't be that hard, IMHO.  I don't want to derail the topic
 > but I'd be happy to be present at a session like this.  I think other operators
 > might also agree.
 >
 > I do however also agree that a lot of saying "I want this" and not pushing code
 > up doesn't give me a lot of speaking power :)

This is the target for Train(I could not work on spec in stein), once we land the spec[2],
I can start coding on that.

[1]https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-ptg-train
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/547850/7

-gmann