[tc] Project repository namespaces

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Mar 19 13:09:32 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-19 10:45:42 +0100 (+0100), Thierry Carrez wrote:
[...]
> 4) Create several namespaces to match the OpenStack map[1] buckets:
>
> - openstack/ to hold first-level components in the central box
> - openstack-operations/ to hold operational tooling from the rights box
> - openstack-lifecyclemanagement/ to hold deployment recipes
> - openstack-user/ for SDK and CLI
> - openstack-adjacentenablers/ for adjacent tech bridges
>
> Plus:
> - openstack-libs/ to hold libraries and second-order dependencies
> - openstack-dev/ for all repositories that we end up creating in order to
> get things done but have otherwise no relationship with the end product
>
> [1] https://openstack.org/openstack-map
[...]

While this will work fine for replicating from Gerrit to the
opendev.org Gitea, it does necessarily imply centralized control
over and maintenance of credentials for replicating to outside
services like GitHub or Bitbucket. Under the org-per-team model
those org credential secrets can be safely carried in and managed by
the individual teams' core reviewers. With cross-team orgs, you need
an identified body to care for the repository containing the
replication job secrets and curating the various categories. *If*
there is a group of volunteers to take on that work, then it seems
like a reasonable plan to me.

One other thing to keep in mind regarding replication to services
outside OpenDev is that the namespaces/organizations don't have to
be a 1:1 match. The suggested solution of using Zuul jobs to
replicate branches and tags can flexibly accommodate whatever
per-service mappings you care to design.
--
Jeremy Stanley