[tc][infra] When a project leaves OpenStack

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Sun Mar 17 23:17:28 UTC 2019

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 10:57:54PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> Now, however, we might consider
> allowing them to continue in the same infrastructure under the same
> repository name but in a different namespace.

Am I understanding you correctly in that you're saying

 git.opendev.org/openstack/project

closes down; i.e. the master branch is replaced with a README to
indicate the project is no longer maintained and ensure CI notices,
but then something like

 git.opendev.org/neweffort/project

could be started by interested parties; where as, normally (as an
example) "neweffort/nova" wouldn't be a good name due to the obvious
potential for confusion?

If that is correct; branch/fork, tomato/tomato ... if master comes
back to life it doesn't make any difference if you merge from a local
branch or a remote one (fork).  So it seems the advantage of a forked
project is you can manage the cores/users/groups separately; but then
if there's no cores/users/groups active on the original project, does
it make a difference if people are given permissions to do this same
work on a branch there?

-i