[nova][stable] Thoughts about backporting fix for bug 1378904?

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Fri Mar 15 03:25:59 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 01:15:45PM -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> Andrey fixed a bug [1] that we've talked about fixing forever which is to
> disallow AZ renames while the AZ has instances in it. This is a change in
> API behavior but it's really a "don't let admins shoot themselves in the
> foot" kind of thing. As such, it didn't have a microversion because users
> should not have to opt out of broken behavior, but I'm a bit hesitant about
> backporting the fix [2]. It has a release note so there would be some
> warning, but what do others think about backporting this?

That's a funky one :)

It is a behaviour change but one that should reduce the ability for
things to get 'wonky'[1].  The pedant in me would be more comfortable if
we had a knob to return the existing/broken behaviour for example
[workarounds]/protect_against_az_rename (defaults to True) which is
immediately deprecated as it'll never exist on master

I've +2'd the change as it stands.

Yours Tony.

[1] Yes that's a technical term.