[tc][ptl][quality-assurance][infra] Switching default node type to ubuntu-bionic

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Mar 13 23:19:03 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-13 22:01:08 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2019-03-08 01:54:52 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
[...]
> > Change https://review.openstack.org/641897 and its dependencies will
> > implement the proposed change in default node type.
>
> This has now merged. See another recent post[*] I made on the thread
> with things to watch out for and suggested fixes. I expect a number
> of projects are going to need to adjust job parents or set explicit
> nodesets for some project-specific py35 jobs on their master
> branches, and may need some non-tox/non-devstack jobs they're
> running on their stable branches adjusted to include branch-filtered
> variants with ubuntu-xenial nodesets too.
>
> [*] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-March/003746.html

A quick update on initial fixes and problems we've identified which
will hopefully be addressed quickly:

Projects using the openstack-python35-jobs-no-constraints
project-template on their master (or stable/stein) branches are
currently insta-failing tox-35 builds due to running on
ubuntu-bionic nodes which lack Python3.5. I have proposed an
openstack-zuul-jobs change[1] to solve this. Sorry for not catching
it before the transition.

The fix[2] for nova-tox-functional-py35 to reparent it to a job which
already runs on Xenial included a superfluous depends-on which
prevented it from going into the gate once approved, so an edit has
been pushed up which will hopefully merge soon.

An variety of dashboard projects are relying on nodesource packages
of NodeJS 4.x, which don't exist for Ubuntu Bionic. Monty has
started another discussion thread[3] to look into options we can
pursue, but in the short term is working on pinning those jobs to
ubuntu-xenial nodes to give us more time to work out a better
solution.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/643180
[2] https://review.openstack.org/642940
[3] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-March/003800.html