[oslo] admin-ness not properly scoped and oslo.policy current status about this issue

Herve Beraud hberaud at redhat.com
Wed Mar 13 17:07:16 UTC 2019

Hello

## Overview
I want to bring up this topic (admin-ness not properly scoped)[1] to get a
big picture of the state of this issue and that was needed on the
oslo.policy side.

Few weeks ago some RHOSP customers request for an enhancement of
oslo.policy since their admin domain can manage other domains. They use
OSP13.

The goal of this ML thread is to help us to track informations about this
topic and I also planned to discuss about this topic during the next oslo
meeting (Monday 18 of March).

## Details

After some investigations I've found a lot of related issues on
launchpad[1][2][3], and a lot of disucssions inside the openstack community
about this topic.

First I guess it's not an RFE but it's a known issue.

This bug has side-effects across several services, not just oslo or
keystone, making the fix complex to orchestrate across services.

In a first time, I want to know more about the latest events on this topic
on the oslo side:
- the states of the related specs (
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/oslo-specs/specs/queens/include-scope-in-policy.html
).
- if we need to add more changes to completely fix this issue and/or if
everything is complete on the oslo side and know since which version. I
guess this one[4] is related to.

Also due to the complexity of this issue I guess is not totally fixed on
the whole openstack components on stein and it can't be fully (whole)
backported to stable branches, but your point of view is really appreciate.
In other words I guess some parts are already fixed on some components but
some services still need to be fixed and the issue partially occur on
stein, so fix that on stable branches is not really possible, can you
confirm?

Also I've found few related specs that I guess can be useful to track the
evolution:
-
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/specs/keystone/rocky/capabilities-app-creds.html
-
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/specs/keystone/rocky/define-default-roles.html
-
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/specs/keystone/queens/system-scope.html
-
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/oslo-specs/specs/queens/include-scope-in-policy.html

If I missed something useful do not hesitate to reply on and to share it
with us.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/968696
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1783659
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1649532