[neutron] [designate] [kolla] dnsmasq internal resolver and instance hostnames

Krzysztof Klimonda kklimonda at syntaxhighlighted.com
Wed Mar 13 13:30:42 UTC 2019

Hi,

I’m trying to wrap my head around how neutron, dnsmasq and resolving internal hostnames is supposed to be working. I have a lab deployment with pike where I want to enable designate service, and also have instances resolve their “siblings” using hostnames (the deployment is done using kolla if it matters).

I’ve noticed that dnsmasq is not authorative for the domain set in `dns_domain` and sends all DNS requests up the chain - that seems to make instances unable to resolve their own name, and names of other instances in the same network.

Is getting it to work as simple as adding `auth-zone=$dns_domain` to `/etc/neutron/dnsmasq.conf` or is there something more going on with my deployment, and that should just work?

-Chris