[ptl][neutron][election] PTL Candidacy
miguel at mlavalle.com
Tue Mar 12 02:23:21 UTC 2019
I write this to submit my candidacy for Neutron PTL during the Train cycle.
I have had a blast being the project's PTL for the past three cycles. After
everything is said and done, the most rewarding part of this job is to get
work with an amazing group of top notch software engineers from around the
World. I will be grateful forever for everything that you all have taught
So I humbly ask for another chance to be trained during Train.
We had a successful Stein cycle, delivering on most of the goals we set for
ourselves in Denver:
* Delivered most of the implementation of bandwidth based scheduling, that
enables Neutron and Nova to guarantee network bandwidth to instances based
on QoS policies.
* To better serve edge computing use cases, we partnered with the StarlingX
team to implement management of network segments ranges dynamically
new API extension.
* Extended Neutron QoS to support L3 router gateway IPs.
* Improved the performance of port creation in bulk to better support
containers use cases.
* Improved the security groups implementation by optimizing the performance
rules creation and making security groups shareable with the RBAC
* We created the os-ken project, OpenStack community fork of the Ryu
which will not be supported by its original implementor anymore. os-ken is
now maintained by the Neutron project team.
* We continued our efforts of de-coupling common functionality from the
repository and moving it to neutron-lib.
* We worked hard on past and present community goals, so at the end of Stein
Neutron will be completely caught up.
* We implemented a successful mentoring program for prospective core
This enabled us to add three new members to the Neutron team: Nate
Hongbin Lu and Liu Yulong. We also added Bernard Cafarelli, Ryan Tidwell
Manuel Buil as stable branches, BGP Dynamic Routing and networking-sfc
Moving forward, these are some of the goals that I propose for the team
the Train cycle:
* Improve the usability of routed networks by allowing more that one segment
per network per compute host. This will enable the scaling up of
without being constrained by subnet IP address ranges.
* Add the capabillity to tag ports during bulk creation, to better support
containers use cases.
* Actively continue our collaboration with the StarlingX team to identify
implement better support for edge computing use cases.
* Continue the implementation of smart NICs support.
* During Stein, we formed a performance sub-team with the aim of improving
Neutron's scalability. We will bring this effort to fruition by
and implementing areas of improvement based on the characterization work
are doing with osprofiler and the EnOS (Experimental eNvironment for
* We will continue our efforts of de-coupling common functionality from the
Neutron repository and moving it to neutron-lib.
* I see myself, with the support of my current employer, actively involved
the project and the community for many cycles in the future. I think,
that we are getting to a point where it is healthy to pass the baton to a
leader. To that end, I will actively encourage team members to step up to
plate in the next cycle. I will support and help propective candidates
step of the way.
Thank you for your consideration and for taking the time to read this
Miguel Lavalle (mlavalle)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the openstack-discuss