[designate][election][ptl] PTL Candidacy

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Mon Mar 11 09:04:29 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I would like to announce my candidacy for PTL of Designate for the Train
cycle.

I have been PTL for Mitaka, Newton, Ocata, Queens, Rocky, Stein (and
hopefully
Train), and have been a core for longer. I have been part of teams that ran
Designate in production in public clouds, and also shipped products based on
it. I feel that this gives a great viewpoint for where we should go.

That said, leadership turn over is healthy, and is required to ensure that
a project does not get stale, and in Designate we have been very bad at
ensuring there is a good turn over (Designate has had 3 PTLs in its
existance,
2 of which were originally from Managed I.T. - the company that founded it).

As a result, Train will be my last cycle as PTL (if you see fit to elect
me).
My cycle goals will be to ensure a clean handover to the next PTL - writing
down roadmaps, documenting what I do as PTL, and guiding anyone who is
interested in taking on the role.

While DNS is not something that is traditionally on a hype curve, we
have had
solid growth over the years, and the software we write is deployed in some
of the largest OpenStack users. It is an important part of the
Datacentre as a
Service space, and we should be proud of it, and help promote its use
where it
fits.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you for your support.

- Graham (mugsie)