[tc] [ptl] [qa] [infra] Migrating legacy jobs to Bionic (Ubuntu LTS 18.04)

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Mar 8 02:34:57 UTC 2019

Updates on planning and dadlines: Legacy jobs to bionic.

I today TC ad hoc meeting on python3 transition & planning[1], we discussed about next steps on legacy jobs migration.
Also you have seen the Zane's email about the agreement of moving the legacy jobs in Stein [2] which will help us to drop
the py35 testing.

NEW DEADLINE: March 13th, we will merge the base pacthes which move legacy base jobs nodeset to bionic.
 ~70% of the project legacy jobs which depends on their parent job nodeset will start running on bionic.

DO NOT BLOCK GATE: After deadline (when base nodeset is bionic) if any of the your legacy jobs are failing then, make those jobs non voting and keep working on fix.

How to test your project's legacy jobs :
I have updated the base patches which move the legacy base jobs to bionic and ready for projects to tets their gate.
Detailed steps and testing pacthes example are in this etherpad-  https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/legacy-job-bionic

For quick reference, I am writting the steps to test your legacy jobs on bionic:
Step 1. Push the testing DNM patch on your project owned repos with:
- Depends-On: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/641886/
 -Remove or change the nodeset to Bionic from your repo owned legacy jobs (if any of the legacy jobs has overridden the nodeset from parent job)
Example: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/639017

Step 2. If you have any legacy job not derived from base jobs then, you need to migrate their nodeset to bionic which are defined in - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/639018/
Example - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/639361/

Step3. if any of the job start failing on bionic then, either fix it before deadline of March 13th or make failing job as n-v and fix later.

Feel free to ping me for any query or help.

[1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc_python3/2019/tc_python3.2019-03-07-21.00.html
[2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-March/003610.html

-gmann

 ---- On Thu, 07 Mar 2019 10:55:50 -0600 Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com> wrote ----