[keystone] Summarizing Stein RBAC work

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 19:03:48 UTC 2019

Yesterday, in the keystone meeting [0], we talked about what we want to
do with the remaining scope and default roles work in keystone. With all
the patches proposed, merged, and reviewed around this work, I thought a
summary might be beneficial for everyone. Besides, despite my best
efforts I still don't share the same polarity with buses. So, getting
this information out is probably best for everyone, including other
developers looking to do something similar in their services.

For context, we landed a major refactor in Rocky allowing keystone to
consume different scopes (e.g., project, domain, and system), making the
entire keystone API more self-serviceable. We also decided to implement
default roles since we already planned on making policy changes, which
gives us things like read-only support out-of-the-box.

Right around the time Stein opened for development, I took an initial
pass at opening bugs to track this work. Turns out refactoring the
authorization of an entire API is a significant amount of work,
especially to track in a single bug report [1]. We kept new bug reports
specific to one resource at a time. If the API made sense to expose with
multiple scopes (e.g., allowing project users, domain users, and system
users to all access the API) we opened a bug, specifically to implement
those scopes. We tagged these bugs with the `system-scope` tag in
Launchpad [2]. Resources in keystone that needed to implement support
for default roles required separate bug reports. We tagged these bugs
with the `default-roles` tag in Launchpad [3]. All bugs that fell into
these two camps also received the `policy` tag.

Altogether, we broke the work to implement scope types and default roles
across keystone's API into 39 different bug reports [4].

Of those 39 bug reports, 13 are for correcting scope behavior, which
exposes more functionality to end users, safely. The remaining 26 are
for implementing default roles, which gives us things like read-only
support.

Of the 13 scope bugs we:
 - fixed 2
 - have 7 in progress
 - have 4 awaiting fixes

Note that some of the fixes above are dependent on a devstack patch to
correct what tempest assumes about certain scopes [5]. Of the 26 bugs
for default roles we:
 - fixed 14
 - have 12 awaiting fixes

In total, of the 39 bugs we opened for the entirety of this work in
Stein we:
 - fixed 16 (~41%)
 - have 7 in progress (~17%)
 - have 16 awaiting fixes (~41%)

I took one final pass through all of keystone's policies yesterday to
make sure we have everything captured in bug reports. If you see
something that I missed, let me know or open a bug report so that we can
capture the information.

To highlight the work required to get us this far, as of
e8d9791c6ecea1bf5fd4878b57c892b0a4c8a19e, we've merged [6] 259 tests
[7]. These tests are reused to execute 593 functional protection tests
[8] that exercise the default roles against various scopes and ensures
users can do what we expect. These number don't include the patches that
are still in review [9] that implement more protection testing.

I think it's safe to say that we're not going to get the remaining work
merged into Stein. However, are there specific resources we want to
prioritize for Stein of the remaining bug reports [10]?

Thanks,

Lance

[0]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/keystone/2019/keystone.2019-03-05-16.00.log.html#l-52
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/968696
[2] http://tinyurl.com/y3ux97ma
[3] http://tinyurl.com/y3y779e8
[4] http://tinyurl.com/y649w43n
[5] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/624794/
[6]
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:merged+project:openstack/keystone+branch:master+(topic:implement-default-roles+OR+topic:clean-up-v3-cloud-sample)
[7] grep -R 'def test_' keystone/tests/unit/protection/ | wc -l
[8] tox -e py37 -- keystone.tests.unit.protection
[9]
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/keystone+branch:master+(topic:implement-default-roles+OR+topic:clean-up-v3-cloud-sample)
[10] http://tinyurl.com/y4vwdsjz