[neutron][devstack] Using git source for networking devstack based jobs

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Mar 5 18:52:55 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-05 11:31:16 -0700 (-0700), Boden Russell wrote:
[...]
> The question is; do we want these devstack jobs using their dependencies
> from git source, or should they be using tagged branches/releases of
> them instead??
[...]

The primary risk with developing only against unreleased source of
your dependencies, when your users expect to deploy your releases
with released dependencies, is that you can end up accidentally
releasing something which only works with unreleased and potentially
unsupported states of its dependencies. You do still need some means
of confirming your releases can work when used strictly with
released versions of its dependencies, so as to prevent this.
Testing against released dependencies instead side-steps this
problem, but at the loss of easy testing against upcoming dependency
versions.
--
Jeremy Stanley