[nova][dev] Any VMware resource pool and shares kind of feature available in openstack nova?

Sanjay K isanjayk5 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 08:40:27 UTC 2019

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your reply. To give you more clarity on my question, let me
describe my goal which I am trying to achieve through openstack nova.

scenario 1- say in a compute node, I have some development and production
VMs hosted. So in that compute node, production VMs will have more priority
than development VMs to contend for compute resources (RAM, vcpus, disk
etc).

case 2. when both prod and dev VMs are on a compute node, if one user
reboots one production VM which was in shutdown/not-running state, the
compute node should take this VM resource allocation as priority and
readjust/redistribute resources among other existing VMs so that this VM
should get the adequate or more resources for which it was initially
created with. If it does not find the required resources on that compute,
it should migrate or launch this VM on a different compute node based on
user consent or just after giving some notification to user that this VM is
started on a different compute.

case 3. when multiple users simultaneously starts some dev and prod VMs,
the production VMs should always get the resources allocated first from the
compute. Then the other low priority VMs should get their resources share.

In my case, the development and production VMs belong to different subnets.
If I know correctly, there is no way nova is doing  resource allocation
dynamically to VMs once they are hosted on a compute node. It just takes
the filters and weights to decide which compute the instance should run. I
think the above decision can be handled before filtering and weighing phase
kicks in to decide how much resource one VM should be given to.

I find the preemptible instances feature useful after going through the
discussions/videos, but not sure as of now whether it will solve my cases
completely.

Please lee me know what you think.

thank you for precious inputs.
best rgds