[TripleO] criteria for deprecating services

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Fri Mar 1 22:20:55 UTC 2019

Recently we've been cleaning house in some of of the TripleO supported
services.

We removed MongoDB as RDO was also dropping it. I guess we needed to
follow suite as our CI is also based on the packages there.

For other services (Designate for example) if the RDO packages exist
and we already have support do we really need to deprecate them? Having
the ability to deploy some of the lesser used but still active
OpenStack projects with our deployment framework is nice for developers
and users alike. Especially when you want to try out a new services.

Rather than debate these things ad-hoc on some of the various reviews I
figured it work asking here. Do we have a criteria for when it is
appropriate to deprecate a service that is implemented and fully
working? Is it costing us that much in terms of CI and resources to
keep a few of these services around?

Dan