[kolla] Let's switch to Python 3

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Mar 1 16:28:19 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-01 10:31:44 -0500 (-0500), Doug Hellmann wrote:
[...]
> Any code the Kolla team is building themselves should still support
> Python 2 under the deprecation policy, but if all of the projects that
> Kolla packages support Python 3, I'm not sure why we would also require
> them to package Python 2 versions.

I didn't mean to suggest we should, only that Kolla should not drop
Python 2.7 testing of the software they write until after the Train
release. Artifacts they produce can support one or the other, sure,
they just need to not cease being able to build from Python 2.7.

> It might be necessary for them to use python 2 versions of some distro
> packages for a while, I guess. But I don't see any utility in Kolla
> offering its users a choice of which version of Python to use on a given
> platform. I would just pick the highest version number that works.

I think it depends on which "users" you're talking about: people who
want to use images built by Kolla vs. people who want to run Kolla's
tools to build images.

> Am I missing something? Maybe we need to clarify the guidelines?

I don't find the guidelines unclear, so am unsure where the
confusion lies. I just wanted to make sure they didn't plan to cease
testing against Python2.7-based environments before the timeline
we've established says that's acceptable, so that people without a
Python3-supporting environment can still be assured running Kolla's
tools will work to build images for the duration.
--
Jeremy Stanley