[nova] FYI for out-of-tree virt drivers: deprecating non-update-provider-tree compat

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 19:12:51 UTC 2019

I have a change up [1] to deprecate the backward compatibility code in
the ResourceTracker for virt drivers that do not implement the
update_provider_tree interface. Starting in Train you'll get a warning
in the nova-compute logs every time the update_available_resource
periodic runs (we could only log on startup, that's up for debate in the
change) until the driver is updated and in the U release we'll drop that
compatibility code.

The only out-of-tree virt driver I checked was nova-lxd and it does
*not* implement update_provider_tree so for those that care about that
driver you should implement the interface. The patch has a link to the
reference docs on implementing that interface for your driver (it's
pretty simple).

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/667442/

Matt