[devel] Fast flake8 testing

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Fri Jun 21 16:47:05 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-06-20 at 13:37 -0400, Zane Bitter wrote:
> Those of you who work on a fairly large project will have noticed that
> running flake8 over all of it takes some time, and that this slows down
> development.
>
> Nova (at least) has a solution to this, in the form of a "fast8" tox
> environment that runs flake8 only against the files that have changed in
> the latest patch + the working directory. This is *much* faster, but
> that approach has some limitations: the script is buggy, it only tests
> the top-most patch, it creates a second tox environment (which is slow)
> that can then get out of sync with your regular pep8 environment, and of
> course it requires the project to add it explicitly.
>
> If you're interested in a solution with none of those limitations, here
> is a script that I've been using:
>
> https://gist.github.com/zaneb/7a8c752bfd97dd8972756d296fc5e41f

Neat :) There's also the opportunity of integrating flake8 (and other
things) as a pre-commit hook, which is something I'm trying to adopt
within nova and the maybe oslo and further over time.

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-June/007151.html

That requires some project-level work though (including backports, if
you want it on stable branches) whereas your script can be used
anywhere. Both useful.

Stephen