[nova][placement][ops] Need for a nova-manage placement audit command

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Wed Jun 19 15:57:41 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 2:43 PM Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Re-posting this since it came up again in IRC today.
>
> ... and we discussed yet again today on IRC. Adding ops tho because I'd
love their feedback about what they'd really need (or like).

On 9/20/2018 6:09 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> > mnaser wrote a simple placement audit tool today and dumped his script
> > into a bug report [1]. It turns out several operators have already
> > written a variant of this same tool. The idea is to compare what's in
> > placement for allocations and (compute node) resource providers against
> > what's in nova for instances and compute nodes, look for orphans in
> > placement and then report them, or maybe also clean them up.

Yeah, and also see whether we would have allocations against migration
records that aren't currenty in progress, as
https://review.opendev.org/#/c/661349/ tries the fix the problem.

> I think this could go into a "nova-manage placement audit" command and
> > should be pretty easy to write for minimum functionality (start with
> > just the report).

Yup, I'd consider checking Resource Providers that have inventories of
resource classes that Nova handles and checks whether they are related to
somehow a compute node (hint: this isn't gonna be trivial as it could be
nested resource providers - but the root node would be a compute node)
I'd also consider allocations (of the same nova-ish resource classes) that
aren't against instances or in-progress migrations and bail them out.

All of that would be resulting in some sort of textual output that could be
parsable if needed.
WFY, folks ?

> I'm advertising the need here in case someone wants to work on this. I'd
> > like to myself, but just can't justify the time right now.

*I* can justify my time on it so I'm gladly volunteering on it. Thanks Matt
for raising up the case.
-Sylvain