[placement] candidate logo

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Mon Jun 17 12:55:40 UTC 2019

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019, Sean Mooney wrote:

> On Mon, 2019-06-17 at 11:02 +0100, Chris Dent wrote:
>> https://burningchrome.com/magpie2.png
>>
>> Is the latest iteration of the candidate placement logo.
>> Please shout out if it's not okay. It's been through a few
>> iterations of feedback to get it to a form closer to what we
>> discussed a couple of weeks ago.
>>
>> For those not aware: The image is of an Australian Magpie.
> i like the image in general but i think the red and the angle of the
> iris sets the wrong tone. it reads as slightly arragant/sinister

It's red because it is an australian magpie, which has red eyes. It
is supposed to be somewhat
sinister/snarky/bossing-you-about-where-to-place-your-stuff.

An earlier version was even more so, and a smile was added to make
it look less so, and that was too much. So this tries to strike a
bit of a balance.

> its kind of hard to edit a 640*640 png without and get the quality you would want
> for a logo but i mocked up a slight change that i think makes it more cheerful and
> aprochable. i think the rotation of the iris is the main thing.

If you view the image in a smaller size (which it will often be) the
red goes more like a glint.

> the more hoizontal placement of the in the origial makes the image look like the
> magpie si look over its sholder at you where as the more vertical inclanation
> in my modifed version read less like its stearing at you.

It is supposed to be looking back at you a bit. Based on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_magpie#/media/File:Magpie_samcem05.jpg

> looking at the original because of its stance and the perception its watching you it
> read more like a raven giving me an edger alan po vibe but i think the modifed version
> could be a magpie. the cyan/blue tones also read much more like the magpies i am used
> to seeing https://download.ams.birds.cornell.edu/api/v1/asset/70580781/1800

That picture is a European Magpie, completely different bird. An
australian magpie isn't really a magpie.

freenode: cdent