[placement] candidate logo

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Jun 17 12:11:40 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-06-17 at 11:02 +0100, Chris Dent wrote:
> https://burningchrome.com/magpie2.png
>
> Is the latest iteration of the candidate placement logo.
> Please shout out if it's not okay. It's been through a few
> iterations of feedback to get it to a form closer to what we
> discussed a couple of weeks ago.
>
> For those not aware: The image is of an Australian Magpie.
i like the image in general but i think the red and the angle of the
iris sets the wrong tone. it reads as slightly arragant/sinister

its kind of hard to edit a 640*640 png without and get the quality you would want
for a logo but i mocked up a slight change that i think makes it more cheerful and
aprochable. i think the rotation of the iris is the main thing.

the more hoizontal placement of the in the origial makes the image look like the
magpie si look over its sholder at you where as the more vertical inclanation
in my modifed version read less like its stearing at you.

looking at the original because of its stance and the perception its watching you it
read more like a raven giving me an edger alan po vibe but i think the modifed version
could be a magpie. the cyan/blue tones also read much more like the magpies i am used
to seeing https://download.ams.birds.cornell.edu/api/v1/asset/70580781/1800

https://www.audubon.org/sites/default/files/styles/grid_gallery_lightbox/public/apa_2015_michaellabarbera_282789_black-billed_magpie_kk-adult.jpg?itok=ceft_M1F

granted the colouration is mostly on there wings not around there eyes but it is a log after all :)