Are most grenade plugin projects doing upgrades wrong?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 13:45:11 UTC 2019

While fixing how the watcher grenade plugin is cloning the watcher repo
for the base (old) side [1] to hard-code from stable/rocky to
stable/stien, I noticed that several other projects with grenade plugins
aren't actually setting a stable branch when cloning the plugin for the
old side [2]. So I tried removing the stable/stein branch from the base
plugin clone in watcher [3] and grenade cloned from master for the base
(old) side [4]. Taking designate as an example, I see the same thing
happening for it's grenade run [5].

Is there something I'm missing here or are most of the openstack
projects running grenade via plugin actually just upgrading from master
to master rather than n-1 to master?

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/664610/1/devstack/upgrade/settings
[2]
http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=base%20enable_plugin&i=nope&files=&repos=