[nova][ops] What should the compute service delete behavior be wrt resource providers with allocations?

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Jun 13 09:12:32 UTC 2019

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019, Mohammed Naser wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 4:44 PM Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1. Don't delete the compute service if we can't cleanup all resource
>> providers - make sure to not orphan any providers. Manual cleanup may be
>> necessary by the operator.
>
> I'm personally in favor of this.  I think that currently a lot of
> operators don't
> really think of the placement service much (or perhaps don't really know what
> it's doing).
>
> There's a lack of transparency in the data that exists in that service, a lot of
> users will actually rely on the information fed by *nova* and not *placement*.

I agree, and this is part of why I prefer #2 over #1. For someone
dealing with a deleted nova compute service, placement shouldn't be
something they need to be all that concerned with. Nova should be
mediating the interactions with placement to correct the model of
reality that it is storing there. That's what option 2 is doing:
fixing the model, from nova.

(Obviously this is an idealisation that we've not achieved, which
is I why I used that horrible word "should", but I do think it is
something we should be striving towards.)

Please: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Trimming_and_reformatting

/me scurries back to Usenet

freenode: cdent