[ironic] Should we add ironic-prometheus-exporter under Ironic umbrella?

Iury Gregory iurygregory at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 07:44:20 UTC 2019

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for your feedback =).

Em sex, 7 de jun de 2019 às 19:43, Mohammed Naser <mnaser at vexxhost.com>
escreveu:

> Hi Iury,
>
> This seems pretty awesome.  I threw in some comments
>
> On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 11:08 AM Iury Gregory <iurygregory at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings Ironicers!
> >
> > I would like to have your input on the matter of moving the
> ironic-prometheus-exporter to Ironic umbrella.
> >
> > What is the ironic-prometheus-exporter?
> > The ironic-prometheus-exporter[1] provides a way to export hardware
> sensor data from
> > Ironic project in OpenStack to Prometheus [2]. It's implemented as an
> oslo-messaging notification driver to get the sensor data and a Flask
> Application to export the metrics to Prometheus. It can not only be used in
> metal3-io but also in any OpenStack deployment which includes Ironic
> service.
>
> This seems really neat.  From my perspective, it seems like it waits
> for notifications, and then writes it out to a file.  The flask server
> seems to do nothing but pretty much serve the contents at /metrics.  I
> think we should be doing more of this inside OpenStack to be honest
> and this can be really useful in the perspective of operators.

The notifications are the sensor data of each baremetal node, each node
will have a file with the sensor data as metrics in the Prometheus format.
Since Prometheus is pull-based the Flask application wlil merge the content
of all files to provide to the Prometheus when necessary.

> I don't want to complicate this more however, but I would love for
> this to be a pattern/framework that other projects can adopt.

Agree, maybe we should talk in the IRC how the pattern/framework would look
like and this can be done before moving the project or something
to be done trough reviews after the project is moved.

--

*E-mail:  iurygregory at gmail.com <iurygregory at gmail.com>*