[Nova][Ironic] Reset Configurations in Baremetals Post Provisioning

Alex Xu soulxu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 05:17:44 UTC 2019

Eric Fried <openstack at fried.cc> 于2019年6月7日周五 上午1:59写道:

> > Looking at the specs, it seems it's mostly talking about changing VMs
> resources without rebooting. However that's not the actual intent of the
> Ironic use case I explained in the email.
> > Yes, it requires a reboot to reflect the BIOS changes. This reboot can
> be either be done by Nova IronicDriver or Ironic deploy step can also do it.
> > So I am not sure if the spec actually satisfies the use case.
> > I hope to get more response from the team to get more clarity.
>
> Waitwait. The VM needs to be rebooted for the BIOS change to take
> effect? So (non-live) resize would actually satisfy your use case just
> fine. But the problem is that the ironic driver doesn't support resize
> at all?
>
> Without digging too hard, that seems like it would be a fairly
> straightforward thing to add. It would be limited to only "same host"
> and initially you could only change this one attribute (anything else
> would have to fail).
>
> Nova people, thoughts?

Contribute another idea.

So just as Jay said in this thread. Those CUSTOM_HYPERTHREADING_ON and
CUSTOM_HYPERTHREADING_OFF are configuration. Those
configuration isn't used for scheduling. Actually, Traits is designed for
scheduling.

So yes, there should be only one trait. CUSTOM_HYPERTHREADING, this trait
is used for indicating the host support HT. About whether enable it in the
instance is configuration info.

That is also pain for change the configuration in the flavor. The flavor is
the spec of instance's virtual resource, not the configuration.

So another way is we should store the configuration into another place.
Like the server's metadata.

So for the HT case. We only fill the CUSTOM_HYPERTHREADING trait in the
flavor, and fill a server metadata 'hyperthreading_config=on' in server
metadata. The nova will find out a BM node support HT. And ironic based on
the server metadata 'hyperthreading_config=on' to enable the HT.

When change the configuration of HT to off, the user can update the
server's metadata. Currently, the nova will send a rpc call to the compute
node and calling a virt driver interface when the server metadata is
updated. In the ironic virt driver, it can trigger a hyper-threading
configuration deploy step to turn the HT off, and do a reboot of the
instance. (The reboot is a step inside deploy-step, not part of ironic virt
driver flow)

But yes, this changes some design to the original deploy-steps and
deploy-templates. And we fill something into the server's metadata which
I'm not sure nova people like it.

Anyway, just put my idea at here.

efried