[ironic] Should we add ironic-prometheus-exporter under Ironic umbrella?

Mohammed Naser mnaser at vexxhost.com
Fri Jun 7 17:42:50 UTC 2019

Hi Iury,

This seems pretty awesome.  I threw in some comments

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 11:08 AM Iury Gregory <iurygregory at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings Ironicers!
>
> I would like to have your input on the matter of moving the ironic-prometheus-exporter to Ironic umbrella.
>
> What is the ironic-prometheus-exporter?
> The ironic-prometheus-exporter[1] provides a way to export hardware sensor data from
> Ironic project in OpenStack to Prometheus [2]. It's implemented as an oslo-messaging notification driver to get the sensor data and a Flask Application to export the metrics to Prometheus. It can not only be used in metal3-io but also in any OpenStack deployment which includes Ironic service.

This seems really neat.  From my perspective, it seems like it waits
for notifications, and then writes it out to a file.  The flask server
seems to do nothing but pretty much serve the contents at /metrics.  I
think we should be doing more of this inside OpenStack to be honest
and this can be really useful in the perspective of operators.

I don't want to complicate this more however, but I would love for
this to be a pattern/framework that other projects can adopt.

--
Mohammed Naser — vexxhost
D. 514-316-8872
E. mnaser at vexxhost.com