[Nova][Ironic] Reset Configurations in Baremetals Post Provisioning

Kumari, Madhuri madhuri.kumari at intel.com
Thu Jun 6 15:19:48 UTC 2019

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your response. Please see my response inline.

Regards,
Madhuri

In this case, the trait is stored with flavor so it is known to Nova. The new trait should be added in the database and the old one removed. For an ex:

An instance with flavor bm_hyperthreading with trait:CUSTOM_HYPERTHREADING_ON=required is created in Nova.
Now the user wants to turn off the hyperthreading, than they could update the flavor with trait:CUSTOM_HYPERTHREADING_OFF=required.
This should remove the trait:CUSTOM_HYPERTHREADING_ON and add trait:CUSTOM_HYPERTHREADING_OFF associated with the new flavor.

>>     In Nova, the only API to change trait in flavor is resize whereas
>>     resize does migration and a reboot as well.____
>>
>>     In short, I am  looking for a Nova API that only changes the traits,
>>     and trigger the ironic deploy steps but no reboot and migration.
>>     Please suggest.____
>
>It's inconvenient, but I'm afraid "resize" is the right way to get this done,
>because that's the only way to get the appropriate validation and changes
>effected in the general case.

Yes, resize seems to be the only valid one.

>Now, there's a spec [1] we've been talking about for ~4.5 years that would
>let you do a resize without rebooting, when only a certain subset of
>properties are being changed. It is currently proposed for "upsizing"
>CPU, memory, and disk, and adding PCI devices, but clearly this ISS
>configuration would be a reasonable candidate to include.

Looking at the specs, it seems it's mostly talking about changing VMs resources without rebooting. However that's not the actual intent of the Ironic use case I explained in the email.
Yes, it requires a reboot to reflect the BIOS changes. This reboot can be either be done by Nova IronicDriver or Ironic deploy step can also do it.
So I am not sure if the spec actually satisfies the use case.
I hope to get more response from the team to get more clarity.