[k8s-sig][cinder] Ember-CSI goes Beta!

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Thu Jun 6 12:00:06 UTC 2019

Hi,

The Ember-CSI team is happy to announce the release of version v0.9,
marking the graduation of the project into Beta.

Ember-CSI is where Kubernetes storage and OpenStack storage intersect.

By leveraging existing Cinder drivers via cinderlib [1], Ember-CSI is
able to provide block and mount storage to containers in any Kubernetes
cluster supporting the Container Storage Interface (CSI) in a
lightweight solution, as it doesn't need to deploy a DBMS or Message
Broker systems, and doesn't need to deploy the usual Cinder API, Volume,
or Scheduler services either.

Key features of the project are:

  - Multi-driver support on single container
  - Support for mount filesystems
  - Support for block
  - Topology support
  - Snapshot support
  - Liveness probe
  - No need to deploy a DBMS in K8s (uses CRD for metadata)
  - Multi-CSI version support on single container (v0.2, v0.3, and v1.0)
  - Storage driver list tool
  - Support live debugging of running driver
  - Duplicated requests queuing support (for k8s)
  - Support of mocked probe (when using faulty sidecars)
  - Configurable default mount filesystem

The Beta is available in Docker Hub [2] -under "stable" and
"ember_0.9.0-stein" tags- as well as in PyPi [3].

After this milestone, where we have achieved feature parity with CSI
v1.0, we will mostly focus on the areas we consider necessary for the
transition into GA: upgrading mechanism, performance improvements, and
documentation.

If time permits, we will also work on features from newer CSI spec
versions, such as volume expansion.

For those interested in the project, the team can be reached on
FreeNode's #ember-csi channel and at the Google group [4].  We also have
a small site [5] with articles on how to try it on K8s with 2 backends
(LVM and Ceph) and the github org [6].

Cheers,
Gorka.

[1]: https://opendev.org/openstack/cinderlib