[glance] zeroing image, preserving other parameters

Volodymyr Litovka doka.ua at gmx.com
Thu Jun 6 10:49:37 UTC 2019

Hi Brian,

thanks for the response. I solved my issue from other (client) side -
I'm using Heat and Heat don't look whether uuid of image changed, it
just check for existense of image with specified name. So it's safe to
delete image and then create another one with same name and parameters
and zero size.

But in fact, Glance has a bit contradictory approach:

Documentation on db purge says: "Remember that image identifiers are
used by other OpenStack services that require access to images. These
services expect that when an image is requested by ID, they will receive
the same data every time." but there are no ways to get list of images
including 'deleted' or details of 'deleted' image, e.g.

doka at lagavulin(admin at admin):~$ openstack image show
b179ecee-775d-4ee4-81c0-d3ec3a769d35
Could not find resource b179ecee-775d-4ee4-81c0-d3ec3a769d35

so preserving image record in database makes no sense for 3rd party
services, which talk to Glance over public API.

On the other hand, having in DB API ready for use 'image_destroy' call,
it's pretty easy (of course, for those who work with Glance code :-) )
to add public API call kind of images/{image_id}/actions/destroy ,
calling DB API's image_destroy. And, in that case, it makes sense to
allow image uuid to be specified during image create (since client can
purge specified record and recreate it using same characteristics),
otherwise I don't see where, in general, specifying uuid (when creating
image) can be useful.

The good news is that I solved my problem. The bad news is that solution
relies on relaxed requirements of 3rd party products but not on Glance's
API itself :-)

Thanks!