[upgrade][neutron] supported release window on rolling upgrade

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 07:19:18 UTC 2019

The neutron team is discussing how many releases we should support in
RPC messages [1] (to drop downgrade codes in OVO).
This affects rolling upgrade scenarios. Controller nodes are upgrade
in FFU way, but we cannot upgrade compute nodes at once.
This means controller nodes with N+X release need to talk compute
nodes with N release.
As of now, the neutron team is thinking to support LTS to LTS upgrade
scenarios for major distributions and
N->N+4 looks like the longest window.

Rolling upgrade scenarios affect not only neutron but also other
projects like nova,
so I am sending this mail for broader input.

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/661995/

Thanks,
Akihiro Motoki (irc: amotoki)