[ops][neutron]After an upgrade to openstack queens, Neutron is unable to communicate properly with rabbitmq

Erik Olof Gunnar Andersson eandersson at blizzard.com
Wed Jun 5 23:21:54 UTC 2019

We have experienced similar issues when upgrading from Mitaka to Rocky.

Distributing the RabbitMQ connections between the Rabbits helps a lot. At least with larger deployments. Since not all services re-connecting will be establishing it's connections against a single RabbitMQ server.
> oslo_messaging_rabbit/kombu_failover_strategy = shuffle

An alternative is to increase the SSL (and/or TCP) acceptors on RabbitMQ to allow it to process new connections faster.
https://github.com/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-server/blob/master/docs/rabbitmq.config.example#L35
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rabbitmq-users/0ApuN2ES0Ks

> We had a very similar issue after upgrading to Neutron Queens. In fact, all Neutron agents were "down" according to status API and messages weren't getting through. IIRC, this only happened in regions which had more load than the others.

We haven't quite figured this one out yet, but just after upgrade, Neutron handles about 1-2 of these per second. Restarting Neutron and it consumes messages super-fast for a few minutes and then slows down again. A few hours after the upgrade it consumes these without an issue.

We ended up making similar tuning
> report_interval 60
> agent_down_time 150

The most problematic for us so far has been the memory usage of Neutron. We see it peak at 8.2GB for neutron-server (rpc) instances. Which means we can only have ~10 neutron-rpc workers on a 128GB machine.

Best Regards, Erik Olof Gunnar Andersson