[qa][openstack-ansible] redefining devstack

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue Jun 4 16:59:59 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-06-04 at 17:23 +0100, Graham Hayes wrote:
> On 04/06/2019 16:47, Jeremy Stanley wrote:

> > > This is needed by devstack-gate and *not* devstack. We have been
> > > trying now for almost two years to get people to stop using
> > > devstack-gate in favor of the zuul v3 jobs. Please don't conflate
> > > this with devstack itself, it is not related and not relevant to
> > > this discussion.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Unfortunately this is not entirely the case. It's likely that the
> > chmod workaround in question is only needed by legacy jobs using the
> > deprecated devstack-gate wrappers, but it's actually being done by
> > the fetch-zuul-cloner role[0] from zuul-jobs which is incorporated
> > in our base job[1]. I agree that the solution is to stop using
> > devstack-gate (and the old zuul-cloner v2 compatibility shim for
> > that matter), but for it to have the effect of removing the problem
> > permissions we also need to move the fetch-zuul-cloner role out of
> > our base job. I fully expect this will be a widely-disruptive change
> > due to newer or converted jobs, which are no longer inheriting from
> > legacy-base or legacy-dsvm-base in openstack-zuul-jobs[2], retaining
> > a dependency on this behavior. But the longer we wait, the worse
> > that is going to get.
>
> I have been trying to limit this behaviour for nearly 4 years [3]
> (it can actually add 10-15 mins sometimes depending on what source trees
> I have mounted via NFS into a devstack VM when doing dev)
without looking into it i assuem this doeing this so that the stack user can read/execute scipts in the
different git repos but chown -R stack:stack would be sainer.

in anycase this is still a ci issue not a devstack one as devstack does not do this iteslf.
by defualt it clones the repos if they dont exist as the current user so you dont need to change permissions.