[qa][openstack-ansible] redefining devstack

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Tue Jun 4 14:44:48 UTC 2019

On 6/4/19 7:39 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> writes:

>>> You raise a really good concern.  Indeed, we might have to change the workflow
>>> from "write a plugin" to "write an Ansible role" to be able to test
>>> your project with
>>> DevStack at that page (or maintain both a "legacy" solution) with a new one.
>> the real probalem with that is who is going to port all of the
>> existing plugins.
>
> Do all projects and all jobs have to be converted at once? Or ever?

Perhaps not all at once, but I would say they all need to be converted
eventually or we end up in the situation Dean mentioned where we have to
maintain two different deployment systems. I would argue that's much
worse than just continuing with devstack as-is. On the other hand,
practically speaking I don't think we can probably do them all at once,
unless there are a lot fewer devstack plugins in the wild than I think
there are (which is possible). Also, I suspect there may be downstream
plugins running in third-party ci that need to be considered.

That said, while I expect this would be _extremely_ painful in the short
to medium term, I'm also a big proponent of making the thing developers
care about the same as the thing users care about. However, if we go
down this path I think we need sufficient buy in from a diverse enough
group of contributors that losing one group (see OSIC) doesn't leave us
with a half-finished migration. That would be a disaster IMHO.