Re: [openstack-ansible] Installing Third-Party drivers into the Cinder-Volume container during playbook execution

Jean-Philippe Evrard jean-philippe at evrard.me
Mon Jun 3 15:08:12 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019, at 05:45, Henry Bonath wrote:
> I think the idea here, at least for me, would be to have it rolled
> into the deployment automatically - in a similar fashion to how
> horizon themes are deployed within Openstack-Ansible.
> Obviously having this specific driver in the tree would solve my
> specific issue, but I don't know how many more third party Cinder
> drivers which are not packaged into the tree people are deploying
> these days.
>
> My question for the community is simply finding out if this mechanism
> exists already.

As you might have seen, we have documentation in the cinder role that points to different third party cinder drivers [1].
That's why i think it would be fine to have your specific code integrated into the cinder role. There is a precedent there.

This way you would have it part of the deployment automatically.

On the technical aspect of the matter, I believe it would be better to package that code into a python package though, so you can install and use it directly. It will reduce the maintainance burden in the long run, and would be easier to test in CI: The OpenStack infrastructure have a cache (or mirror?) of PyPI, and we don't have a mirror of this code.

Regards,
Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)

[1]: https://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ansible-os_cinder/latest/