[goals][IPv6-Only Deployments and Testing] Week R-12 Update

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Mon Jul 29 09:05:38 UTC 2019

Hi,

Neutron stadium projects which has some additional communication and may use IPv6 for it:

- https://opendev.org/openstack/neutron-dynamic-routing - it has agent which communicates with neutron-server via RPC,
- https://opendev.org/openstack/networking-bagpipe - it uses some RPC communication with agent, but according to https://opendev.org/openstack/networking-bagpipe/src/branch/master/doc/source/user/design.rst it is just an extension to ovs/linuxbridge agent so in fact this communication is already tested in jobs defined in neutron repo; But there is also communication between e.g. bagpipe backend and other BGP neighbours,
- https://docs.openstack.org/networking-bgpvpn/latest/user/overview.html - it is also using RPC communication but it’s with OVS agent, so same as what “standard” neutron is doing;
- https://opendev.org/openstack/networking-midonet - this one is communicating with midonet cluster and uses API for that, so it may be done by using IPv6 too. But I don’t know too much about this project so the best guy to ask will be probably Yamamoto :)
- https://opendev.org/openstack/networking-odl - similar to midonet plugin, so it is communicating with ODL using REST API, but probably the best guy to ask about it will be Lajos Katona as he is now maintainer of this project,
- https://opendev.org/openstack/networking-ovn - this one is communicating with ovsdb server to connect to SB and NB databases, and this can be done using IPv6 too AFAICT,

Other stadium projects are providing some extensions/drivers/plugins which integrates with neutron-server and/or existing neutron agents and are only extending existing communication channels used by default neutron resources so I don’t think we need to add any special jobs for them.

> On 26 Jul 2019, at 11:54, Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am starting this status email for 'IPv6-Only Deployments and Testing ' community goal for Train.
>
> Storyboard:
> =========
> - https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2005477
>
> Current status:
> ============
> 1. Base job 'devstack-tempest-ipv6' has been prepared on Tempest (patch yet to merge)[1]
> 2. 'tempest-ipv6-only' is defined in Tempest (patch yet to merge)[1]
> 3. 'tempest-ipv6-only' has been proposed to run on 5 services project date side [2].
> 4. I have proposed few more projects jobs like congress etc and will keep doing for other projects also.
> 5. Neutron stadium projects jobs. I talked to slaweq on IRC [3]on what all neutron stadium falls under the IPv6 address
>     communication criteria so that we can add ipv6-only job for those project only. He is going to prepare the list of those
>     project and accordingly we will add jobs
>
> Everything related to this goal can be found under this topic:
> Topic: https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:ipv6-only-deployment-and-testing+(status:open+OR+status:merged)
>
> How to define and run new IPv6 Job on project side:
> =======================================
> - I prepared a wiki page to describe this section - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Goal-IPv6-only-deployments-and-testing
> - I am adding this wiki info in goal doc also[4].
>
> Review suggestion:
> ==============
> - Main goal of these jobs will be whether your service is able to listen on IPv6 and can communicate to any
>   other services either OpenStack or DB or rabbitmq etc on IPv6 or not. So check your proposed job with
>   that point of view. If anything missing, comment on patch.
>   - One example was - I missed to configure novnc address to IPv6- https://review.opendev.org/#/c/672493/
> - base script as part of 'devstack-tempest-ipv6' will do basic checks for endpoints on IPv6 and some devstack var
>   setting. But if your project needs more specific varification then it can be added in project side job as post-run
>   playbooks as described in wiki page[5].
>
> [1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/671231/
> [2] https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:ipv6-only-deployment-and-testing+(status:open+OR+status:merged)
> [3] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-neutron/%23openstack-neutron.2019-07-26.log.html#t2019-07-26T08:56:20