[tripleo] Roadmap to simplify TripleO

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Tue Jul 23 11:45:00 UTC 2019

On 7/11/19 7:52 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> Even though TripleO is well known for its maturity, it also has a
> reputation of being complex when it comes to the number of tools that it
> uses.
> Somewhat related to the efforts that James is leading with "Scaling
> TripleO" [1] [2], I would like to formalize our joint efforts to make
> TripleO simpler in the future. Some work has been done over the last
> releases already and yet we have seen net benefits; however we still
> have challenges ahead of us.
>
> - With no UI anymore, do we really need an API?
> - How can we reduce the number of languages in TripleO? ... and make
> Python + Ansible the main ones.
> - How can we reduce our dependencies?
>
> I created a document which explains the problems and propose some solutions:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vY9rsccgp7NHFXpLtCFTHQm14F15Tij7lhn5X_P14Ys
> For those who can't or don't want Google Doc, I've put together the
> notes into etherpad [3] and I'll take care of making sure it's updated
> at last at the beginning until we sort things out.
thanks Emilien,

I added a couple of comments in the doc related to two topics which I
think have been half-baked in past releases and could be reviewed with
the removal of mistral, specifically:

- TripleO invocation environment files should not be order dependent
- Performing a stack update should not require all original environment
files

not sure if people familiar with workflows would be interested in
helping with these two?
--
Giulio Fidente
GPG KEY: 08D733BA