[docs][tc][infra] what to do with developer.openstack.org and api-site?

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Jul 15 14:28:33 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-07-15 at 11:50 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> > [...]
> > I see the following options:
> >
> > 1) Retiring developer.openstack.org completely, this would mean we would
> > host the api-guides and api-references on docs.openstack.org (perhaps
> > with moving them into doc/source). If we go down this road, we need to
> > discuss what this means (redirects) and what to do with the Api-Guide
> > and the FirstApp guide.
> >
> > 2) Fully revitialize the repo and have it owned by an official team or
> > SIG (this means reverting parts of https://review.opendev.org/485249/)
> >
> > 3) Retire the document "Writing your first OpenStack Application", and
> > unretire api-site and have it owned by some official team/SIG.
> >
> > Any other options? What shall we do?
>
> Thanks Andreas for raising this.
>
> As an extra data point, my long-term plan was to have SDKs and CLIs
> properly listed in the Software pages under SDKs[1], including
> third-party ones in their own subtab, all driven from the
> osf/openstack-map repository[2].
>
> With that in mind, I think it would make sense to look into retiring
> developer.openstack.org,
i use https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/ almost daily so unless
we host the api ref somwhere else and put redirect in place i would hope we
can keep this inplace.
if we move it under docs like the config stuff
https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/config.html
or somewhere else that is fine but i fine it very useful to be able
to link the rendered api docs to people on irc that ask questions.

i can obviosly point peple to github
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/api-ref/source/servers.inc
but unlike the configs the api ref is much less readable with out rendering
it with sphinx