[nova] [horizon] Horizon and nova-cli inconsistency in live migration parameters

Mary Atakova masha.atakova at mail.com
Sun Jul 14 12:35:29 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I think I have found an inconsistency between nova cli and Horizon in
the way they send live migration commands to nova API. I'm not sure
where this needs to be fixed, so please advise on that.

The situation:

I try to live-migrate a VM, and I do it through nova cli and through
Horizon, and nova-api logs contain different data depending on the way I
do it.

1. nova cli

I run the command:

nova live-migration 17359460-d23c-4acc-a9b1-5cf117b54430

and it shows up in nova-api logs as:

{"os-migrateLive": {"block_migration": "auto", "host": null}}

2. horizon

I run live migration via Horizon with unchecked Disk Overcommit and
unchecked Block Migration.

It shows up in nova-api logs as:

{"os-migrateLive": {"disk_over_commit": false, "block_migration": false,
"host": null}}

This difference can lead to different parameters provided for live
migration when block_migration: auto is translated into block_migration:
true.

My environment:

Openstack Stein

CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810