[placement][ptg] Shanghai attendance

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 18:15:55 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-07-11 at 12:58 -0500, Eric Fried wrote:
> Chris-
>
> > asked for feedback from the rest of the placement team on whether we
> > need to do any placement work there, given the value we got out of
> > the virtual pre-PTG in April.
> >
> > Let me ask again: Do we need a presence at the PTG in Shanghai?
>
> The email-based virtual pre-PTG was extremely productive. We should
> definitely do it again.
>
> However, I feel like that last hour on Saturday saw more design progress
> than weeks worth of emails or spec reviews could have accomplished. To
> me, this is the value of the in-person meetups. It sucks that we can't
> involve everybody in the discussions - but we can rapidly crystallize an
> idea enough to produce a coherent spec that *can* then involve everybody.
well if ye do a virtual email based pre-ptg  again why not also continue that virtual
concept and consider a google hangout or somehting to allow realtime discussion with video/etherpad.
i personally found the email discussion hard to follow vs an etherpad or gerrit review per topic
but it did have pluses too.