[Nova] Instances can't be started after compute nodes unexpectedly shut down because of power outage

Gökhan IŞIK skylightcoder at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 12:46:02 UTC 2019

Hi folks,
Because of power outage, Most of our compute nodes  unexpectedly shut  down
and now I can not start our instances.  Error message is "Failed to get
"write" lock another process using the image?". Instances Power status is
No State.  Full error log is http://paste.openstack.org/show/754107/. My
environment is OpenStack Pike on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS servers and Instances are
on a nfs shared storage. Nova version is 16.1.6.dev2. qemu version is
2.10.1. libvirt version is 3.6.0. I saw a commit [1], but it doesn't solve
this problem.
There are important instances on my environment. How can I rescue my
instances? What would you suggest ?

Thanks,
Gökhan

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/509774/