[tripleo][charms][helm][kolla][ansible][puppet][chef] Deployment tools capabilities v0.1.0

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Jul 8 12:54:53 UTC 2019

Hi, deployment tools teams,

As mentioned here last month[1], we are working to improve the
information present on the deployment tools pages on the OpenStack
website, and we need your help!

After the Forum session on this topic in Denver[2], a workgroup worked
on producing a set of base capabilities that can be asserted by the
various deployment tools we have. You can find version 0.1.0 of those
capabilities here:

https://opendev.org/osf/openstack-map/src/branch/master/deployment_tools_capabilities.yaml

As an example, I pushed a change that makes every deployment tool assert
the capability to deploy keystone ("components:keystone" tag) at:

https://review.opendev.org/#/c/669648/

Now it's your turn. Please have a look at the list of the capabilities
above, and propose a change to add those that are relevant to your
deployment tool in the following file:

https://opendev.org/osf/openstack-map/src/branch/master/deployment_tools.yaml

Capabilities are all of the form "category:tag" (components:keystone,
starts-from:os-installed, technology:puppet...). Once all deployment
projects have completed that task, we'll add the capabilities to the
rendered page on the website and allow for basic searching for tools
with matching capability.

Now, capabilities go only so far in describing your deployment tool. I
also encourage you to improve in the same file the "desc" field: that
one is directly displayed on the site.Uuse it to describe in more
details how your deployment tool actually works and what makes it
unique, beyond basic capabilities tags.

Please feel free to use this thread (or personal email) if you have
questions on this. And thanks in advance for your help!

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-June/006964.html
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DEN-deployment-tools-capabilities

--