[masakari] Run masakari-hostmonitor into Docker container

Sam P sam47priya at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 14:54:14 UTC 2019

Hi Gaëtan,
 I have never tried it, but sounds interesting.
 Current masakari is not designed to run in the containers.
 However, except masakari monitors, most of masakari components can
run on the containers.

For masakari-hostmonitor, you don't need to run systemd daemon inside
the container.
Hoever, the code need to be changed slightly to use remote systemd on
the host OS.
ex: systemctl --host user_name at host_name command
Or we also can use the method Mark shared in previous email.

> I would not recommend running the systemd daemon in a container, but
> you could potentially use the client to access a daemon running on the
> host. E.g., for debian:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54079586/make-systemctl-work-from-inside-a-container-in-a-debian-stretch-image.
> No doubt there will be various gotchas with this.

> Are you planning to run pacemaker and corosync on the host?
Since masakari-hostmonitor needs to detect any failures of the host,
pacemaker and corosync need to run on the host OS.
You may do the otherwise, but this is the simplest solution.

--- Regards,
Sampath