[nova] type-PCI vs type-PF vs type-VF

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 11:58:09 UTC 2019

Quick questions:

1. Is there some official documentation comparing them? Only thing I found
so far was
https://mohamede.com/2019/02/07/pci-passthrough-type-pf-type-vf-and-type-pci/

2. Am I correct to assume (I seem to do a lot of that; be afraid) that when
nova starts populating the database entry for a given physical node (say a
computer node or a ironic baremetal node) it looks through the pci list and
decides what type of device (type-PCI, type-PF, or type-VF) it is? What is
the criteria?

3.
https://mohamede.com/2019/02/07/pci-passthrough-type-pf-type-vf-and-type-pci/
implies that nova sees the 3 different types, well, differently where it
will try hard to virtualize type-PF and type-VF and really really wants me
to setup sr-iov on them (
https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/admin/pci-passthrough.html seem to
also want sr-iov) really . Is that correct?