[placement] [tc] PTL not going to summit?

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Jul 4 16:27:43 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 11:45 -0400, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 11:19 AM Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org> wrote:
>

> > I've decided [1] that I'm going to resist going to tech conferences
> > and summits in particular by air travel, unless it becomes an
> > existential issue. For a variety of reasons described in [1] and the
> > two other posts it links to.
> >
> > I know for some people that this will present some concerns about my
> > efficacy as PTL of placement, so I thought I better mention it
> > sooner than later so we can make some decisions on how we want to
> > proceed:
> >
> > * Should I take myself out of the running for U PTL? In which case
> >    we need to get a shadow warmed up.
> >
> > * If I'm not there, but still PTL, should we still hold the usual
> >    regularly placement things (project update and onboarding, PTG
> >    things)? In which case we need to prepare chairs/moderators for
> >    those sessions.
> >
> > Given my positions on the exclusive properties of conferences, I'd
> > prefer that we turn update and onboarding activities into
> > asynchronous, document-oriented affairs that anyone can utilize at
> > any time, not just those wanting and able to go to summit.
> >
> > Similarly, given how useful the placement pre-PTG was for Train, the
> > very small amount of time spent discussing placement issues in
> > person in Denver, and the team's strategy of focusing on a
> > relatively small number of changes, I'm not certain we need "time"
> > in Shanghai. We can spread that work out.
> >
> > Thoughts or questions from anyone?
> >
> > [1] https://anticdent.org/remote-maintainership.html
> >

> Thanks a ton Chris for speaking up on that topic. I also share your
> opinions in this blog.
> I've talked with a few TripleO contributors and a bunch of us won't go to
> China either (for different reasons).
>
> Instead, I think we'll try to make progress in our asynchronous
> collaboration and eventually organize a virtual meetup if needed.
> Also, in my humble opinion you shouldn't step out of PTL role just because
> you won't go to the next conference. I think it's part of the PTL role to
> find out how to make the collaboration happen without barriers, no matter
> where you are in the world. Thanks for all your hard work on Placement and
> I hope you'll make the right decision for you and the project.

on this point i also dont think you would be the firsts ptl to not by able to attend
ptg in person. i rememebr one of the past cyborge PTLs was not able to attend in person
i belive in the first denver ptg and instead joined over voice chat to listen and
replied mainly over etherpad to the discussion.

i have remote attened 2 kolla midcycle in the past too were similarly by have a listen only
audio stream and replying on etherpad as things were bing disucssed i was able to follow
then conversation so i personally would not see an issue with a PTL delegating project updates
or onbodaing to a core memeber that is present or chossing to hold a virtual ptg meetup.

i belive there is still value in having in face discussion but including remotees in those
discussion is something that i think we should try for too.

so i dont think it should be a requriement to be in person the be ptl once your poject can effectivly
discuss and organise your work within itself and with other projects.