[nova][ironic] Lock-related performance issue with update_resources periodic job

Belmiro Moreira moreira.belmiro.email.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 08:14:40 UTC 2019

Hi,
we do have the issue of ironic instances taking a lot of time to start
being created (The same Jason described).
This is because the resource tracker takes >30 minutes to cycle (~2500
ironic nodes in one nova-compute). Meanwhile operations are "queue" until
it finish.
To speed up the resource tracker we use:
https://review.opendev.org/#/c/637225/

We are working in shard the nova-compute for ironic. I think that is the
right way to go.

Considering the experience described by Jason we now increased the
"update_resources_interval" to 24h.
Yes, the "queue" issue disappeared.

We will report back if you find some weird unexpected consequence.

Belmiro
CERN