[octavia] HTTP/2 support

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 21:33:24 UTC 2019

Hi Volodymyr,

Yes, this is definitely something we are planning to do.

There are a couple of reasons we have held off doing this:
1. You really want HAProxy 2.0 (also recently released) to get the
full capabilities of HTTP/2 (See
https://www.haproxy.com/blog/haproxy-2-0-and-beyond/#end-to-end-http-2).
Prior to this, HTTP/2 connections from users were translated to
HTTP/1.1 connections on the servers and/or had some open issues.
2. Another challenge is that none of the distributions (LTS versions)
are shipping with HAProxy 1.9 or 2.0. Currently they all ship with
1.8. This means that operators would have to build images with a
custom package or build of HAProxy in it.
3. This feature would bring in capabilities that only HAProxy 1.9/2.0
based amphora images would support. We have been talking in the weekly
IRC and at the PTG about how we could handle "discovering" that an
image has been build with a specific version of HAProxy prior to it
being booted. I think the current leading idea is to tag the images in
glance with a special tag/metadata that would allow us to query if
there is a compatible image available for a feature a user is
requesting.
4. No vendor provider drivers have requested or implemented HTTP/2
support in their drivers.
5. No one has come forward indicating that they can do the development
work. (yet)

As you can see we have a few issues to figure out and work on before
HTTP/2 will be supported.

So, definitely on the roadmap (updated), but I can't name which
release will get it added.

Michael