[nova] Per-instance serial number implementation question

Mohammed Naser mnaser at vexxhost.com
Thu Jan 31 15:32:02 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 10:05 AM Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> * danpb said the system.serial we set today should really be
> chassis.serial but that's only available in libvirt >= 4.1.0 and our
> current minimum required version of libvirt is 1.3.1 so setting
> chassis.serial would have to be conditional on the running version of
> libvirt (this is common in that driver).
>
> * Applications that depend on the serial number within the guest were
> not guaranteed it would be unique or not change because migrating the
> guest to another host would change the serial number anyway (that's the
> point of the blueprint - to keep the serial unchanged for each guest),
> so if we just changed to always using unique serial numbers everywhere
> it should probably be OK (and tolerated/expected by guest applications).
>
> * Clearly we would have a release note if we change this behavior but
> keep in mind that end users are not reading release notes, and none of
> this is documented today anyway outside of the [libvirt]/sysinfo_serial
> config option. So a release note would really only help an operator or
> support personal if they get a ticket due to the change in behavior
> (which we probably wouldn't hear about upstream for 2+ years given how
> slow openstack deployments upgrade).
>
> So where are we? If we want the minimal amount of behavior change as
> possible then we just add the new image property / flavor extra spec /
> config option choice, but that arguably adds technical debt and
> virt-driver specific behavior to the API (again, that's not uncommon
> though).
>
> If we want to simplify, we don't add the image property / flavor extra
> spec. But what do we do about the existing config option?
>
> Do we add the 'unique' choice, make it the default, and then deprecate
> the option to at least signal the change is coming in Train?
>
> Or do we just deprecate the option in Stein and completely ignore it,
> always setting the unique serial number as the instance.uuid (and set
> the host serial in chassis.serial if libvirt>=4.1.0)?
>
> In addition, do we expose hostId in the metadata API / config drive via
> [1] so there is a true alternative *from within the guest* to determine
> guest affinity on the same host? I'm personally OK with [1] if there is
> some user documentation around it (as noted in the review).
>
> If we are not going to add the new image property / extra spec, my
> personal choice would be to:
>
> - Add the 'unique' choice to the [libvirt]/sysinfo_serial config option
> and make it the default for new deployments.
> - Deprecate the sysinfo_serial config option in Stein and remove it in
> Train. This would give at least some window of time for transition
> and/or raising a stink if someone thinks we should leave the old
> per-host behavior.
> - Merge mnaser's patch to expose hostId in the metadata API and config
> drive so users still have a way within the guest to determine that
> affinity for servers in the same project on the same host.

I agree with this for a few reasons

Assuming that a system serial means that it is colocated with another
machine seems just taking advantage of a bug in the first place.  That
is not *documented* behaviour and serials should inherently be unique,
it also exposes information about the host which should not be necessary,
Matt has pointed me to an OSSN about this too:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OSSN/OSSN-0028

I think we should indeed provide a unique serials (only, ideally) to avoid
having the user shooting themselves in the foot by exposing information
they didn't know they were exposing.

The patch that I supplied was really meant to make that information available
in a controllable way, it also provides a much more secure way of exposing
that information because hostId is actually hashed with the tenant ID which
means that one VM from one tenant can't know that it's hosted on the same
VM as another one by usnig the hostId (and with all of the recent processor
issues, this is a big plus in security).

--
Mohammed Naser — vexxhost
D. 514-316-8872
E. mnaser at vexxhost.com