[infra][tc] Container images in openstack/ on Docker Hub

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jan 30 14:35:36 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-30 13:57:03 +0000 (+0000), Sean Mooney wrote:
[...]
> i would recommend basing such a container on the offical
> python:3-alpine image as it is only 30mb and has everything we
> should need to just pip install the project. it has python 3.7.2
> currently but the 3-alpine tag tracks both the latest release of
> alpine and the latest release of python alpine supports.

In a twist of irony, Python manylinux1 wheels assume glibc and so
any with C extensions are unusable with Alpine's musl. As a result,
we'll likely need to cross-compile any of our non-pure-Python
dependencies from sdist/source with an appropriate toolchain and
inject them into image.

> in some rare cases we might need to also install bindeps but i
> would hope that between bindeps and pip we could build small
> images for source fairly simpely and leave the orchestration of
> those images to the enduser.
[...]

The bindep tool does at least have support for Alpine now, so as
long as there are packages available for our system dependencies
that should hopefully be a viable option.
--
Jeremy Stanley