[oslo] oslo.utils EventletEvent changes

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Jan 30 10:29:20 UTC 2019

Hey,

We have a bit of an issue in the EventletEvent class in oslo.utils. We
had to blacklist the versions that had the race fix because it turned
out that it reintroduced the double-set bug. So the current version is
subtly broken, and we released the oslo.service change that started to
use it (which is how we found the double-set bug).

There are actually two patches proposed right now related to this.[1][2]
The first simply fixes the bug, the second optimizes it so we aren't
doing unnecessary event replacement. What I would like to do is merge
the first patch, release the library with just that, then merge the
second patch and release again. That way if we're wrong about the
optimization patch being correct (I don't think we are, but this is
concurrency, so...) we have the safer fix available in a release.

The reason I'm emailing instead of just doing this is that I'm going to
be unavailable after today until the 11th, and it would be nice to get
at least the first release done before then. I can maybe get that done
today, but in case I don't I wanted to get this on record.

Thanks.

-Ben

1: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/632758
2: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/633053