[tc][all] Project deletion community goal for Train cycle

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Wed Jan 30 06:39:50 UTC 2019

 ---- On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 10:14:50 +0900 Adrian Turjak <adriant at catalyst.net.nz> wrote ----
 >            I've expanded on the notes in the etherpad about why Keystone isn't     the actor.
 >
 >      At the summit we discussed this option, and all the people familiar     with Keystone who were in the room (or in some later discussions),     agreed that making Keystone the actor is a BAD idea.
 >
 >      Keystone does not currently do any orchestration or workflow of this     nature, making it do that adds a lot of extra logic which it just     shouldn't need. After a project delete it would need to call all the     APIs, and then confirm they succeeded, and maybe retry. This would     have to be done asynchronously since waiting and confirming the     deletion would take longer than a single API call to delete a     project in Keystone should take. That kind of logic doesn't fit in     Keystone. Not to mention there are issues on how Keystone would know     which services support such an API, and where exactly it might be     (although catalog + consistent API placement or discovery could     solve that).
 >
 >      Essentially, going down the route of "make this Keystone's problem"     is in my opinion a hard NO, but I'll let the Keystone devs weigh in     on that before we make that a very firm hard NO.
 >
 >      As for solutions. Ideally we do implement the APIs per service     (that's the end goal), but we ALSO make libraries that do deletion     of resource using the existing APIs. If the library sees that a     service version is one with the purge API it uses it, otherwise it     has a fallback for less efficient deletion. This has the major     benefit of working for all existing deployments, and ones stuck on     older OpenStack versions. This is a universal problem and we need to     solve it backwards AND forwards.
 >
 >      By doing both (with a first step focus on the libraries) we can     actually give projects more time to build the purge API, and maybe     have the API portion of the goal extend into another cycle if     needed.
 >
 >      Essentially, we'd make a purge library that uses the SDK to delete     resources. If a service has a purge endpoint, then the library (via     the SDK) uses that. The specifics of how the library purges, or if     the library will be split into multiple libraries (one top level,     and then one per service) is to be decided.
 >
 >      A rough look at what a deletion process might looks like:
 >      1. Disable project in Keystone (so no new resources can be created     or modified), or clear all role assignments (and api-keys) from     project.
 >      2. Purge platform orchestration services (Magnum, Sahara
 >      3. Purge Heat (Heat after Magnum, because magnum and such use Heat,     and deleting Heat stacks without deleting the 'resource' which uses     that stack can leave a mess)
 >      4. Purge everything left (order to be decided or potentially     dynamically chosen).
 >      5. Delete or Disable Keystone project (disable is enough really).

One important thing we need to discuss is about rollback. If any service or some
services not able to delete their resources then, what Purge library should do ? error
and rollback? success with non-deleted resources left behind ? error with saying list of
non-deleted resources and hold the project deletion till then ?
or It can be multiple run deletion but keep the project in disable state until all resources
are gone.

Because this library is going to provide the functionality of cleanup everything. Half cleaned
project deletion can be another issue. IMO project can be in disable state until user able to
delete all the resource from the library we provide.

-gmann